The Restoration of the Three Arch Bridge and the Flowering Reflection Pond
Frederick Strong Moseley,
born in 1852, was a broker in Boston and a director of the
Shawmut Bank there. He was also a member of the Arnold Arboretum
Advisory Board. On the death of his father Edward in 1900,
he and his siblings inherited a considerable estate. Frederick
proceeded to acquire and improve the Newburyport property,
consulting and hiring the best landscape architects in
Originally named Maudesleigh, the 480 acre estate was created on agricultural fields by landscape architect Martha Brookes Hutcheson, one of the earliest female members of the American Society of Landscape Architects, who designed the grounds around the main house, entry drive, and formal gardens (1904–1906). Lord and Burnham designed various of the greenhouses.
William G. Rantoul, of the Boston firm Jacques and Rantoul, served as the estate's principal architect, creating most of the original architecture in the years 1895-1910. He designed the 72-room main house (demolished 1955) and houses for the coachman, forester, and head gardener. A second large house was built 1939-1941 for Helen Moseley, Frederick's younger daughter. At its peak, the property had a staff of about 40 and an extensive horticultural operation. There were three greenhouses, a head house, several types of cold frames, espaliered fruit trees, a large winter plant house, a two-acre formal vegetable and cutting garden, a 500 foot perennial border, an Italian garden, rose garden, and collection of rhododendrons, azaleas, and specimen trees in addition to the laurels that occurred naturally on the estate.
On the death of the Moseleys the family had the main house torn down. In 1978 Helen's house was destroyed by fire. After the main house was demolished and Helen Moseley's house burned, the landscape received considerably less intensive management, although the family retained a crew to do mowing. The property was acquired in 1985 by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management (DEM) and became Maudslay State Park. Today only a few of the original 30 structures remain.
One of the meadows on a splendid fall day
Road leading to the
Fruit trees and